Sonya's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    I had to BC!
    Became Natural
    Did the BC in 2009
    Hair Type
    4 something

How I keep my hair stretched when I moisturize

Whenever I have to moisturize my hair during the week, I very lightly spritz my ends first. I give them just enough water to loosen any possible tangles. Then I twist, stretch and secure the twists to the opposite side of my head with bobby pins. After I've done all that, I'll give a more generous spritz and a sealant. I try to seal with my shea moisture reconstructive elixir when I do this, because that's just basically liquid shea butter. It's easier to use a spray or liquid rather than something creamy to seal already twisted hair.

When you wet your hair first, and then twist, your hair has already started to shrink before you finish twisting it up (just take a chunk of hair and spray it with water, or apply a water based product. You’ll see your hair start to revert immediately).

If you twist on dry hair, the hair is already somewhat (or completely) stretched. If you wet the hair after you’ve twisted, stretched, and secured it in place, it will try to revert, but it won’t have too much wiggle room because you’ve prevented it from shrinking by securing it in place, in its stretched out state.

Therefore, after you take your twists down after they’ve dried, your hair should still be stretched out. (I feel like I’m repeating some words a lot, so I hope this makes sense.)

neceyluv's Avatar Magnificent Stylist
    Transition Length
    One year
    Became Natural
    January 2013
    Hair Type
    I dunno...4B and 4B?
    OK, so I read it like three times, LOL - there's nothing wrong with the way you wrote it; it's just hard to picture it, ya know? But anyway I think I got it! I should try this! You're right about wetting your hair before twisting; it's a given that I would have sprayed my hair several times by the time I'm finished twisting.

My hair's not long enough to stretch to the other side, but I could stretch it one or two twists over.....hahaha!

Thanks Sonya for the great tips!

Ro's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    Not sure. Impulsive decision.
    Became Natural
    July 5, 2012
    Hair Type
    Spiral curls-4a?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    Whenever I have to moisturize my hair during the week, I very lightly spritz my ends first. I give them just enough water to loosen any possible tangles. Then I twist, stretch and secure the twists to the opposite side of my head with bobby pins. After I've done all that, I'll give a more generous spritz and a sealant. I try to seal with my shea moisture reconstructive elixir when I do this, because that's just basically liquid shea butter. It's easier to use a spray or liquid rather than something creamy to seal already twisted hair.

When you wet your hair first, and then twist, your hair has already started to shrink before you finish twisting it up (just take a chunk of hair and spray it with water, or apply a water based product. You’ll see your hair start to revert immediately).

If you twist on dry hair, the hair is already somewhat (or completely) stretched. If you wet the hair after you’ve twisted, stretched, and secured it in place, it will try to revert, but it won’t have too much wiggle room because you’ve prevented it from shrinking by securing it in place, in its stretched out state.

Therefore, after you take your twists down after they’ve dried, your hair should still be stretched out. (I feel like I’m repeating some words a lot, so I hope this makes sense.)
    Great tips, Sonya. Water is the "devil" when it comes to shrinking your stretched hair. LOL

Elite Stylist
    Hair Type
    4a (I think)
    I do something similar -- usually I have my hair in 1 large braid on the side that I clip up across my head. It's the quickest/easiest thing to do in the shower after washing/conditioning/combing.

Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony
    Great tips, Sonya. I do something similar as well -- more along the lines of what sunshine mentioned above. My hair is in 4-6 large twists as I twist and then I stretch those twists across my head and hold them down with clips while I do the other sections.