Senecea's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    13 months
    Became Natural
    April 19,2013
    Hair Type
    4A Fine & extra coily

Fall Protective Styling Challenge ~ Week #1

Well ladies, it's finally time for our PS challenge to begin! From September 20 - October 18 we will be embarking on a journey which will lead to some new habits which will lead to length retention, stronger hair, less tangles, fairy knots and SSKs, new styling techniques and even a new found confidence in our abilities!

So, the guidelines are as follows:

You must wear your hair in a protective or low manipulation style for no less than 3 days each week for the duration of the challenge.

Each Friday I will write a new post with check in questions for all who are participating to answer, please feel free to post pics of your styles and and any issues, questions, new findings or anything within these posts so we can all share and learn from each other.

Everyone is welcome to participate!!

Week 1 Check In Questions:

Why do you think that protective styling will be beneficial during your healthy hair journey?

Are there any styles that you are looking forward to trying during this challenge?

Do you think that you will face any obstacles while taking part in this challenge?

How many days do you think you'll wear your hair in a protective style during week 1?
    3,5,or 7 days?

****Please don't be put off by the minimum of 3 days, this is a Beta Test and it never hurts to try, you can't lose anything by making an attempt at a new practice. We are in this together!!!

What do you hope to achieve by the end of this challenge?

Let's get started!!!

VaNAPsa's Avatar Extreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    12 months 1 week
    Became Natural
    October 27,2013
    Hair Type
    thick, coarse, LoPo

Why do you think that protective styling will be beneficial during your healthy hair journey?
    My ends will be tucked under. Also I can moisturize my hair more AND it retains moisture better. Lastly having success with PS really gives me more confidence in going natural because a) i feel as if I have more control over my hair and b) it gives me styling options.
    ETA: I don't have to worry about frizz and having my hair up is cooler though the weather is getting slightly cooler now anyway.

Are there any styles that you are looking forward to trying during this challenge?
    Not really as I have a solid group of 4 to choose from but I hope to find new styles as I go along. AND I haven't tried those styles since I did the half BC last night except the bun, which works btw.
    ETA: I thought about it and I do need to find styles and techniques that last longer.

Do you think that you will face any obstacles while taking part in this challenge?
    just the new half BC.

How many days do you think you'll wear your hair in a protective style during week 1?
    3,5,or 7 days?
    6. I was planning on 7 but my great aunt is turning 90 on Sunday and I have to go to her bday party and I thought it would be fun to do a twist out.

Junior Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still transitioning
    Hair Type
    a mix of 3B & 3C

I think it will be healthy for my hair because it allows my hair to actually breathe and take advantage of the natural/essential oils that I apply to my hair. I also love protective styling because there are so many options to choose from. I also agree with VaNAPsa about keeping the ends of your hair tucked under. These styles also give me strength and confidence while embarking on my natural journey. I feel just as beautiful and free as I did when I got a relaxer!!

YES!!! I really want to try the bantu knots...I am really into perm rod sets because they last pretty long on my hair...I also would like to try twist outs and flat twists (i need to learn how to do that)....But its a journey and I'm learning new things everyday!!!

I think my only obstacle really would just be refreshing my styles day to day...like when I wake up in the morning, how I can "wake" my curls back up from their beauty rest!!! lol, its funny because this morning I took my bonnet off my head and my sister was like "you're hair looks like a brain" because my curls were just kind of matted and stuck to my head, but I found that if I get a little bit of oil and fluff out my hair, It looks awesome and I still have good hold on my curls....(I put a little bit of eco styling gel in my hands and rubbed them together and ran my fingers throughout my curls the night before so I think that helped...but, I definitely would like some tips about refreshing styles so I can maximize the length of time I can wear them!!! All information is welcome..

3,5,or 7 days?

Well, I have gotten to 3 before so I am going to do 5 this time!!! Wish me luck!!! (If I knew some good ways to keep my style fresh, than I can definitely make them last!!!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0674.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0675.jpg 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0676.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	980 (my hair for today: faux hawk!!!

Tria's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    3 Months
    Became Natural
    5/2/2013
    Hair Type
    Curly
    I'm hoping it will help with length retention and help me keep my hands out of my head. I seriously need a 12 step program for hand in hair syndrome.

Two strand twist pin ups. Not sure if my hair is long enough but I'm going to give it a whirl.

Yes. Because of the current length of my hair there will be challenges with the protective style options available. I know I have some low manipulation style options too but I know myself and I'm not going to do a straw set or anything too time consuming on a consistent basis so in order to be successful, I have to find styles that aren't going to require hours of prep work.

3,5,or 7 days?

I'm shooting for the 3 day min and see how it goes.

I hope to end the challenge with healthy hair, some new style options and info/knowledge about how my hair reacts in different seasons. I've only been natural in the summer so it will be interesting to see if/what kind of changes I have to make for fall/winter.

prettygirls2's Avatar Extreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    1 year
    Became Natural
    February 18, 2014

Why do you think that protective styling will be beneficial during your healthy hair journey? As I am currently transitioning 7 months in, this will enable me to not have to bother with my hair and cause more harm than good with having to manipulate it over and over, so putting in a protective style will also keep my hands at bay, pesky little hands!

Are there any styles that you are looking forward to trying during this challenge? I would like to try the Bantu knots, more perm rod rolling, and better flat twist mine so far are ummm not so great!

Do you think that you will face any obstacles while taking part in this challenge? No don't anticipate any however if they show up will just deal with them as best I can, cause I know you ladies will have my back so no worries there.

How many days do you think you'll wear your hair in a protective style during week 1? I am going to try for at least 6 days because I will have to prepare for Sunday Worship! Looking forward to this challenge.
    Sorry for any typos am using my IPhone! Oops missed the last question: I am hoping to achieve better ways to actually take care if my hair, to learn how protective styling really aid in the overall health of my hair, and as I get further into my transitioning that I will have the ability to style my hair in different ways, really looking forward to this part.

eshatee35's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    14 months
    Became Natural
    September 2013
    Hair Type
    Cottony and Curly
    1. Why..... All of my hair is tucked away, no stress on my hair.
    2. Are there any styles.... I'm looking forward to trying Bantu knots, one style I haven't tried.
    3. Obstacles... Trying to achieve new styles for only 7 days because I've been doing more longer term PSs.
    4. How many days.... 14 so mine will be week one and two at least
    5. Hope to achieve.... More length and fullness, especially around the hairline.
    Attachment 983
    Juggling my time to continue my positive journey

Senecea's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    13 months
    Became Natural
    April 19,2013
    Hair Type
    4A Fine & extra coily
    I love seeing your pics ladies! Thank you so much for sharing them and for participating! I see that we are on the same page here with our reasons for choosing PS.

I have seen the potential for tangles and breakage in my own hair due to leaving it out over the course of a week as a bit of a test. I know that keeping my hair in a protective style will set me up for a great deal of length retention, lower amound of shedding and eliminate SSKs and tangles. Protective styling also really helps my hair retain moisture.

There are so many options to choose from! I'm probably going to attempt some tuck and roll styles, quite possibly a Victory Roll or some tuck and roll styles. I hope to be able to find a little time to play around with a few styles.

I think that my obstacles will concern not trying things other than twists.

3,5,or 7 days?

I will probably end up with my hair in a PS for at least 5 days.

I hope that I will have further laid the ground work for continuous protective styling to be apart of my regimen from now on.

Junior Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    Hair Type
    Coarse
    I'm hoping to stop breakage and work on softening hair & retaining my length.

I am determined to become proficient at flex-rods!! (They have become my hairstyle-nemesis).

Time!!!! And working on finding the correct products for my hair and to achieve the look I want. (I know it won't be exactly what I want because I have different hair textures going on, but can't hurt to try to get close...)

How many days do you think you'll wear your hair in a protective style during week 1? 3,5,or 7 days?

I'm going for 7 days because I'm trying to limit how much heat I use on my hair.[

I would like to learn some new hairstyles & to have figured out my go-to products for this stage of my transition, and to reduce the breakage I've had--repair my hair.
    Last edited by Busymom2kidz; 09-21-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Tried to highlight w/ color. Didn't work, so I removed HTML codes.

Koily K's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    16 Months
    Became Natural
    Jan 1 2014
    Hair Type
    ?

My ends will be tucked away from the environment

There are plenty that I LOVE. I just have to get my mind and hands to cooperate!

Yes. I have tried 3 styles so far and not been too thrilled with the outcome. I may end up having someone but some short-term braided/twisted style in for me. My hair is just at am awkward stage because of transitioning and some breakage toward the back crown area.

3,5,or 7 days?

My first & second styles were 1 1/2 days. The second one could have stayed longer but I had planned to apply henna that evening. So this third one I am hoping to use to make up some days and leave it in for 5 days! I think I can since it held up in a downpour yesterday! LOL At the same time I just did my henna treatment so it may only last another day! I want to touch my hair! LOL
    Koily K
    Length is a plus...Healthy is a MUST!

Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony

I am getting too many knots. I need to protect my ends better.

I can never get the "tuck and pin" styles to do right so I'm determined to learn.

Yes! I'm not a fan of my hair tucked and off my face so finding styles I'm comfy with will be challenging.

3,5,or 7 days?

I need to start small. 3.