Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony

Best Products for Transitioning to Natural Hair

This is the place to talk about products that work for your hair and any other discussions related to products while you transition.

Keep in mind, products respond differently on different people because we all have different hair types (course, fine, wavy, curly, no pattern, etc.). What works for someone else, may not work for you and vice versa. So be careful about choosing products based on someone else's experience.

For shampooing, I love Giovanni's products (Tea Tree and 50/50) and Kinky Curly's Come Clean. Those were staples during my transition.

As far as leave-in conditioners, Oyin's Honey Hemp was great as well as many of the Shea Moisture products.

I always used the cheap conditioners for my rinse out (V05, Suave Naturals, etc.)

I think there is a myth that transitioning or natural hair means you have to spend a lot of money on products. In the beginning I did because I was experimenting, but once I found out what my hair liked, I didn't spend much at all.

Have you tried Carol's Daughter's Transitioning Kit yet? This wasn't around when I transitioned so I would have loved to try it. If you've used it, share your experiences!

Talk about what works/worked for you while transitioning.

Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    Hair Type
    dry and course
    hey lisa, I'm transitioning and haven't had a perm since May of this year. So far I love Shea Moisture products and so glad they are getting easier to find. My hair tends to like the gold label products of this line.

I still cannot find a conditioner that gives me good slip though so if anyone has suggestions let a sista know!

Junior Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    I haven't tried shea moisture yet. I've heard it was reasonably priced. I can't afford to spend a lot of money on transitioning but I am thinking of investing in carol's daughter's kit.

productjunky's Avatar Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    still transitioning
    Hair Type
    thin and fine
    My name says it all! I am a true product junky and I don't think there is enough space here for me to list what I like! Ha ha ha! Well I'm still transitioning but I still like a lot of the "bad" products with the cones and all that stuff folks say we can't use on our hair. oh well My favorites would probably be Shea Moisture. I just tried Carol's Daughter's kit and it did seem to slow down my breakage. I will use it again.

Like Lisa recommends, I love the giovanni products. The Tea Tree is great because I have itchy scalp and the tea tree oil makes my scalp tingle and it really feels like I'm getting it cleaner! It may be a mental thing but hey.... it works! lol

naturalforlife's Avatar Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    6 months
    Became Natural
    October 2009
    Hair Type
    4a (s-shaped curls)
    I agree that "best" is all relative. I think it's tempting for transitioners to look for advice from other people (I've seen the questions on lisa's site) but frankly no one can tell you what your hair needs and likes. If you know someone has a similar hair type as you then that may work but generally you have to experiment.

My sister and I have similar textures so I was able to steal her products lol but my cousin can't use any of the products I use.

When I transitioned I stuck with many of the same products I used when relaxed. My hair responds well to Motions.... even as a natural.

neceyluv's Avatar Magnificent Stylist
    Transition Length
    One year
    Became Natural
    January 2013
    Hair Type
    I dunno...4B and 4B?
    I love the Shea Moisture products, Giovanni's leave in conditioner and tea tree shampoo.

My regimen also includes (walking from the bathroom with an armful of bottles lol) Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Strengthening Conditioner once a month for protein, recently started using Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner (LOVE this - its so thick and smells really good), my cheap conditioners are Hello Hydration, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In conditioning repair cream, and Yes to Carrots.

My oils include coconut, jojoba, tea tree, grapeseed, EVOO, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, almond, and argan oil. I have a tub of shea butter that I use more in the winter (I live in Chicago). What I didn't get locally, I ordered from amazon.com.

neceyluv's Avatar Magnificent Stylist
    Transition Length
    One year
    Became Natural
    January 2013
    Hair Type
    I dunno...4B and 4B?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel85 View Post
    hey lisa, I'm transitioning and haven't had a perm since May of this year. So far I love Shea Moisture products and so glad they are getting easier to find. My hair tends to like the gold label products of this line.

I still cannot find a conditioner that gives me good slip though so if anyone has suggestions let a sista know!
    Angel85, I'm still not sure what "slip" means, LOL, but I love the Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing conditioner. It's a thick deep conditioner for after shampooing. Or the Cantu Shea Butter leave-in.

Junior Stylist
    Hi Guys , Ive recently made the desicion to transition and ive been hearing about a transitioners tonic from Kinky Curly that should help tame scab hair and heal my scalp , however i dont seem to be able to find it anywhere online for sale does any one kno of any products i can use as a substitute ?????

productjunky's Avatar Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    still transitioning
    Hair Type
    thin and fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayiem View Post
    Hi Guys , Ive recently made the desicion to transition and ive been hearing about a transitioners tonic from Kinky Curly that should help tame scab hair and heal my scalp , however i dont seem to be able to find it anywhere online for sale does any one kno of any products i can use as a substitute ?????
    Really? I've never heard of it. Funny how all the comapnies are now creating transitioning products now. Smart!

Ro's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    Not sure. Impulsive decision.
    Became Natural
    July 5, 2012
    Hair Type
    Spiral curls-4a?
    I agree Productjunky. They see an opportunity to make some cash.