ZuriWynter's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    10-11 months
    Became Natural
    Partially August 2012 -- Fully June/July 2013
    Hair Type
    THICK, curly, coily

Cool Yarn Braids

Well ladies I am all done (as of yesterday) and so much happier to not have to handle my hair for a while! In total, it took two whole days from dawn til dusk with frequent breaks and distractions. At one point, my bestie had to finish the back up and my right side because I had my wisdom teeth extracted, so the pain killers had me too loopy to properly install them anymore.

Picture time~!
    [IMAGE ONE]
    [IMAGE TWO]
    [IMAGE THREE]

I seriously love love LOVE these things! My brother and his fiance' (my bestie) both said it sincerely looks like I've had dreads all my life with how they sit on my head. I haven't had anyone approach and ask if they're locs or not, but I have been getting far more attention than usual with them in now. With this cold weather, the yarn actually feels quite warm on my head. I'll be giving them a test run at the hospital for clinical tomorrow, so I'm hoping not to have any issues. I have had to throw away one hair bow so far because there are so many braids it popped the band just trying to get them tucked away -- that's not the braids fault, that's my genes for giving me a thick head of hair.

Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony
    You are a master!! Man, I wish I could do these myself!!! *bows down* Two days!!!!! But I know it was worth it and you will get your mileage out of it. Plus with it getting cooler, this is a great fall/winter protective style. They look great.

sandberry's Avatar Elite Stylist
    Transition Length
    My longest transition was for about a year. That was years ago. I've done short and long transitions
    Became Natural
    Off and on since 1960s...yep
    Hair Type
    Coils pen point size
    You did an excellent job. Maybe you can make some money doing others braids also. I like the width of your braids with your face. Rock it!

Senecea's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    13 months
    Became Natural
    April 19,2013
    Hair Type
    4A Fine & extra coily
    Wow Zuri! You did a great job! I am in awe.. It took you only two days plus you were recovering after having your wisdom teeth removed! Hero status!!! I think that they look really good...

Ro's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    Not sure. Impulsive decision.
    Became Natural
    July 5, 2012
    Hair Type
    Spiral curls-4a?
    Zuri...Wow!! The yarn braids look really good! Mad props for installing them yourself with a little help from your friend.
    I'm sure they will be perfect for your lifestyle. You look so cute and professional. Sandberry is right..you can make some $$$ installing yarn braids.
    I hope you're feeling better after your wisdom teeth extractions. Better living through chemistry-pain killers!

Transition Length
    10-11 months
    Became Natural
    Hair Type
    THICK, curly, coily
    I could never make any cash off doing yarn braids off people, but my bestie could -- she did an excellent job picking up the slack of half my head and correcting a few badly placed braids. She does her own yarn braids all the time and was the true inspiration towards me doing my own. I'm just amazed they're so light and thick; far thicker than my bestie's, which she was a bit impressed by. Here's are solid black and thinner, while mine are thick and a rich brown (we both used different yarn colors). With how well she did the back, I can just take down the front batch in about a month or so and redo them so I can carry the style a little longer -- that was her suggestion anyway, and I'm more than capable in doing that. Thanks everyone for the praise and compliments though. I wanted to do a few in a bold 'highlight' color like a dark blonde or burgundy, but I'm scared my clinical coordinator and instructors will disapprove and flag me with a demerit. The dress code rules are beyond strict!

SimplyChemist's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    14 months
    Became Natural
    7/14/13
    Hair Type
    3B-4A
    It's looks fab Zuri. Hats off to you and your friend.

Aundrea's Avatar Extreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    8 months
    Became Natural
    January 29, 2013
    Hair Type
    4b (Maybe)
    I love it!!! You already know I love yarn braids!!! I'm thinking about getting them back again over Thanksgiving break and actually keeping them in for a while this time. The first time I had them done they were kinda large and it wasn't much I could do with them! Kudos to you for doing them yourself with the help of your friend.

Meko's Avatar Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    Hair Type
    Not sure yet
    Zuri your hair looks great! I've never even heard of yarn braids before. . .I guess I need to get out more. .LOL

So maybe it's a dumb question, but did you actually use yarn or is that just the name of the style?

Transition Length
    10-11 months
    Became Natural
    Hair Type
    THICK, curly, coily
    Sorry I'm so late responding, Meko -- class and clinical is such a pain with time..

Yes, I actually used real acrylic yarn! Only $3 for each bundle, and I used about 2 bundles for my thick head. You just have to make sure to use dye-free, acrylic yarn because you don't want it to lose its color in a wash or loc up in your hair (that's what wool yarn will do!). I did tons of research and let my bestie show me hers a few times before I was sold. It's just so convenient to not be bothered with my hair when I'm running late to class or clinical.

Aundrea, mine are suuuuper thick too! Thick braids plus thick head of hair equals too much fighting to get them all in a bun or ponytail! LOL! I don't mind though, it's a price I'm willing to accept.