Sonya's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    I had to BC!
    Became Natural
    Did the BC in 2009
    Hair Type
    4 something

Homemade hair mousse

Anybody have a recipe for all natural hair mousse? I heard egg whites act as a mousse/gel on hair, but I'm a little apprehensive about trying that. I think you have to leave the egg whites in, in order for them to work.

sandberry's Avatar Elite Stylist
    Transition Length
    My longest transition was for about a year. That was years ago. I've done short and long transitions
    Became Natural
    Off and on since 1960s...yep
    Hair Type
    Coils pen point size
    Here's some mousse recipes. I don't know if they work...
    http://www.ripma.org/how-to-make-hom...ir-mousse.html
    It would be my luck to make something with egg whites and get an odd smell in my hair....I wonder.

Sonya's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    I had to BC!
    Became Natural
    Did the BC in 2009
    Hair Type
    4 something
    Thanks sandberry. Lol, of course the first one on the list is the egg white mousse! I came across a website (should have bookmarked it) with a recipe for flaxseed and shea butter custard. It's just a combo of flaxseed gel and shea butter. I think I'm gonna try that. The last time I washed my hair, I did bigger twists. I like the fullness, but I've been having to retwist almost every night! When I was doing the smaller twists, they would last a good 7 days or so. I need something to hold my twists without making my hair all hard and crunchy.

Senecea's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    13 months
    Became Natural
    April 19,2013
    Hair Type
    4A Fine & extra coily
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    Thanks sandberry. Lol, of course the first one on the list is the egg white mousse! I came across a website (should have bookmarked it) with a recipe for flaxseed and shea butter custard. It's just a combo of flaxseed gel and shea butter. I think I'm gonna try that. The last time I washed my hair, I did bigger twists. I like the fullness, but I've been having to retwist almost every night! When I was doing the smaller twists, they would last a good 7 days or so. I need something to hold my twists without making my hair all hard and crunchy.

Hi Sonya and Sandberry,
    Flaxseed gel and whipped Shea butter works really well and the flaxseed gel will give you a nice crunch free hold and shiny hair..and adding a little pure aloe Vera gel to your Shea mix can give hold as well...I read the recipes and I think that the egg whites are an interesting addition.. I think that my curiousity might get the best of me with some of the recipes which are listed here, thanks again Sandberry, I mean Dr. Sandberry.

Ro's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    Not sure. Impulsive decision.
    Became Natural
    July 5, 2012
    Hair Type
    Spiral curls-4a?
    Senecea,
    With the addition of egg whites, which is a dairy product, would the mixture need to be refrigerated? You know, with everyone making their own hair gels, mousses, etc, we're going to put a hurtin' on some hair care companies. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Senecea View Post
    Hi Sonya and Sandberry,
    Flaxseed gel and whipped Shea butter works really well and the flaxseed gel will give you a nice crunch free hold and shiny hair..and adding a little pure aloe Vera gel to your Shea mix can give hold as well...I read the recipes and I think that the egg whites are an interesting addition.. I think that my curiousity might get the best of me with some of the recipes which are listed here, thanks again Sandberry, I mean Dr. Sandberry.

Senecea's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    13 months
    Became Natural
    April 19,2013
    Hair Type
    4A Fine & extra coily
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolanda Taylor Enroth View Post
    Senecea,
    With the addition of egg whites, which is a dairy product, would the mixture need to be refrigerated? You know, with everyone making their own hair gels, mousses, etc, we're going to put a hurtin' on some hair care companies. LOL
    Yes ma'am, the mousse w/egg whites would have to be refrigerated as would anything that contains water. It will be good competition and inspiration for the hair companies if people continue mixing their own products.

Ro's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    Not sure. Impulsive decision.
    Became Natural
    July 5, 2012
    Hair Type
    Spiral curls-4a?
    I agree, Senecea!