Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil and honey for pre-poo

CrystalM's Avatar Regular Stylist

Olive oil and honey for pre-poo

Last night I started my new hair care regimen. I made a mixture of olive oil and honey for my pre-poo. It was so extremely sticky I couldn't run it through my hair unless I dampened my hands with some warm water. I tried to make it a mixture of 80% oil and 20% honey but maybe I had too much honey. Has anyone else had this problem? I broke off so much hair at first because it stuck so bad to my hands even though I was trying to be gentle.

Crystal

Senecea's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    13 months
    Became Natural
    April 19,2013
    Hair Type
    4A Fine & extra coily
    I think that you used an interesting mixture by combining honey and Olive oil, I have a question or two..did you heat up the olive oil and honey, maybe that would have helped out a little in your application. I imagine that the amount of honey also played a little part in the issue of it being sticky. Also keep in mind that while honey is a humectant, the winter might not be the best time to use it because it can dry out your hair because the air is so much drier than other seasons throughout the year. The honey will draw moisture from your hair when there is little available in the air. Blackstrap molasses is a great substitute for honey, it contains a lot of sulphur, iron,and minerals(which are great for your hair), panthenol (which penetrates the hair shaft and improves hair elasticity),it's a great humectant and is also a great detangler..

Did you have any issues washing it out of your hair? Maybe adding a little conditioner to the mix might help out next time.

Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony
    Great tips Seneca! I use this combo a lot and I add conditioner. I def think the amount of honey you used is the issue. You really only need a teaspoon or so and much more olive oil. Conditioner will give you more slip and make the hair stronger. So that's why I add that.

But as Seneca said, be careful with honey in the winter.

ZuriWynter's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    10-11 months
    Became Natural
    Partially August 2012 -- Fully June/July 2013
    Hair Type
    THICK, curly, coily
    I agree with Senecea and Lisa.

I preferably would have added some warm water to the mix to loosen it up and then warm it a bit more to have a hot oil treatment. Nowadays I just wet my hair down with a castor oil, olive oil, water, conditioner mix for a pre-poo and saturate my hair in Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In overnight to get a good deep conditioning.

A great recipe with ACV, eggs, mayo, olive oil, honey, and water was a great protein treatment for my hair once. I highly recommend that if you can find it on Youtube by Naptural85.

CrystalM's Avatar Regular Stylist
    I did add a little warm water to the mixture once I realized it was so sticky. That helped tremendously. I didn't heat the oil and honey mixture before though. I will definitely use less honey and more oil next time and add in the conditioner for better slip. Or I may leave out the honey for now and use just oil and conditiiner until spring time. It's a learning process.

It wasn't difficult to rinse out the oil honey mixture at all. I rinsed each section at a time for about two minutes so that my hair was really wet before shampooing though. I washed and conditioned with Shea Moisture and did an ACV rinse for my itchy, dry scalp. Then deep conditoned with Cantu Shea Butter. I took out my twists just a little bit ago and my hair is currently very moisturized and feeling great. I will see if it stays like this in a few days.

Crystal

neceyluv's Avatar Magnificent Stylist
    Transition Length
    One year
    Became Natural
    January 2013
    Hair Type
    I dunno...4B and 4B?
    Great job, Crystal!!!

keannacurls's Avatar Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    still transitiong
    Hair Type
    4??
    I love using a little honey in the warmer months mixed with coconut oil..makes my hair soft like butta

Aniran's Avatar Master Stylist
    Transition Length
    6? months
    Hair Type
    4a right now
    Whenever you warm anything up try and avoid the microwave if you can otherwise it'll nuke all the nutrients right out of the batch.

Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniran View Post
    Whenever you warm anything up try and avoid the microwave if you can otherwise it'll nuke all the nutrients right out of the batch.
    Very true. I just recently learned this so instead I boil some water and sit the container in the water to warm it up.

Regular Stylist
    Transition Length
    3 months
    Became Natural
    Hair Type
    4b
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniran View Post
    Get out! Never knew this! Y'all are some smart people up in here. Good to know for future.