Thread: I want to do the Big Chop! Help me!

Junior Stylist

I want to do the Big Chop! Help me!

I am turning 20 10/25/16 and I wanted to do the big chop. I have been getting perms and flat irons since I was a small child and I am tired of having damaged unnaturally straight hair. I don't even know my own hair texture. My brother has long natural hair, but it is unable to retain any moisture. (Adding that because all my siblings had large fros before our mother permed them.) I'm thinking I'm a 4b/4c???

I permed my hair for college (mom forced me) two weeks ago and I don't want to cut ALL my hair off. Is waiting until the end of October adequate time to do some natural growth then the big chop or just chop it down a little (to 5 inches maybe) and start transitioning?

What big chop style should I get?

What do I need for Big Chop aftercare? I have extreme dandruff. What oils and shampoos do I need? What types of combs and brushes do I need? How much should I wash my hair a week? What about my scalp. Due to the dandruff and eczema, my scalp will turn into a desert about 30 minutes after washing it and putting no products in it.

My mother is the only person I know when it comes to hair care and she isn't being supportive of my decision. (I understand, my got pretty long lol)

I am turning 20 10/25/16 and I wanted to do the big chop. I have been getting perms since I was a small child and I am tired of having damaged unnaturally straight hair. I don't even know my own hair texture.

I permed my hair for college (mom forced me) two weeks ago and I don't want to cut ALL my hair off. Is waiting until the end of October adequate time to do some natural growth then the big chop or just chop it down a little (to 5 inches maybe) and start transitioning?

What do I need for Big Chop aftercare? I have extreme dandruff. What oils and shampoos do I need? What types of combs and brushes do I need? How much should I wash my hair a week?

Here is a picture of my hair, washed and combed from a couple of days ago. plus.google.com/107642772392447504941/posts/hUjBAkkEDxK

Help a young sister out!

Trina.

TheLioness0727's Avatar Supreme Stylist
    Transition Length
    3 months
    Became Natural
    Hair Type
    3b/3c
    Hey Ms. Trina,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    First things first...... take a deep breath and relax. You can do this.

1) Since your hair is completely relaxed, there is no way you can tell what type of natural hair you have. Don't worry about it though because that's not important in the grand scheme of things. Porosity and the health of your hair is what matters most.

2) Since you relaxed your hair 2 weeks ago, you probably have minimal new growth. If you are ready to chop, find a stylist and consult with them to determine the short cut that will compliments your face. There are PLENTY of pics of short styles so find one you like and take that with you to the appointment. If the stylist is good, he/she will guide you in the right direction.

3) Read the "Transitioners" tab on this website. It gives GREAT advice on what to do while transitioning.

4) As far as your eczema is concerned, familiarize yourself with essential oils - particularly peppermint, tea trea, jojoba and lavender. I've read that a mixture of these will help.

5) Do your research. Since your Mom is not supportive, it's up to you to educate yourself. I will tell you that transitioning to natural hair is a great decision. It takes time, commitment and effort. There will be times when it seems difficult and you will get frustrated, but it is so worth it in the end.