Thread: Why is my hair more damaged now that it's natural

Junior Stylist

Why is my hair more damaged now that it's natural

I have been natural for a 1 and a half now, previously I use to flat iron my hair. I have about bra strip length hair and I have notice about 4 months ago that my hair is more damaged than it has ever been. I wash and deep-condition once a week with moisture products and do hydrolyzed protein treatments a few times a year. I'm thinking about going back to flat ironing my hair, since my hair look and feel the worst then it ever has. I don't know what happen. My hair feels like dry hay and has split ends half way up the hair strand. I don't know where I went wrong but I will be cutting about 5 inches of dead hair soon.
    I don't think it was moisture issue, since I deep condition once a week and used moisture based products while styling my hair. The products I have used come from Shea Moisture, As I Am, TGIN and alikay naturals.
    Any suggestions on how I managed to kill my hair?

Supreme Stylist
    Became Natural
    3/28/2014
    Hair Type
    3B 3C 4A
    Could you have heat damage? Also you may need to trim your Hair. Split ends cannot be repaired, been there and done that.
    Are you doing the Loc method? could you be Protein sensitive or could you be dealing with protein overload?

longleggsz's Avatar Elite Stylist
    Transition Length
    10 months & 5 days
    Became Natural
    04/18/2015
    Hair Type
    Not sure
    When you deep condition, do you use heat to deep condition? If not, you want to consider it. I found that using my hooded dryer to deep condition my hair, was soooooo much better than when I didn't. My hair is much softer and very healthy looking. As for split ends, have you thought of cutting them off? If you don't, the split will continue up the shaft of the hair until it gets either to the root or totally break off.