Junior Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    Became Natural
    May 15,2012
    Hair Type
    3c & 4a

Starting young

Well hello eveyone, My names Jayqua Its pronounced (Ju-Qua-ya) Incase you were wondering lol . So where do I start, I'm soon to be 15 starting high school this year (Excited) . I have very THICK course hair (ALWAYS HAVE), I'm african American mixed with indian. This month (August) marks my third month of transitioning ^_^. I plan to transition an entire year before a BC. With transitioning at such a young age, There will be a LOT of negativity around me from other people's opinions on my hair but I guess that's just part of the territory. I won't give them too much thought though, because I am doing this for ME, Relaxer just aren't for me anymore ! Wish me luck on this HARD journey pleeease ! I would also like to know if there's anyone out there my age or a little older that I could maybe reach out to when the times get hard.

Elite Stylist
    Transition Length
    I transitioned for 18 mths
    Became Natural
    January 2012
    Hair Type
    4A
    Welcome Jayqua, I wish I would have decided to do this when I was 15. Just stay encourage and don't give up. Be persistent and don't listen to any haters. Just do it for you.

Ro's Avatar Ultimate Stylist
    Transition Length
    Not sure. Impulsive decision.
    Became Natural
    July 5, 2012
    Hair Type
    Spiral curls-4a?
    Hi and welcome Jayqua!
    I totally agree with Melissa M. Keep a positive attitude. I bet there will be some people your age that will support you during your hair journey and they will tell you how much they admire you for going natural. Find some hairstyles that you like and OWN them!!!

Lisa's Avatar Forum Owner
    Transition Length
    18 Months
    Became Natural
    September 2011
    Hair Type
    4A/4B & Cottony
    I applaud you Jayqua. There's no way my insecure teen self would have been confident enough to go natural. I was too busy worried about fitting in so good for you for doing what's best for YOU. I hope to see more teens joining here because it will be good for you guys to chat and give each other tips/motivation because you can relate to what it's like.

Yes, there are going to be people who will say things but it's just a symbol of their own insecurities. I'm glad you're not going to let that bother you. Hopefully more teens will reply 'cause I know I get quite a few comments on my blog from teens who are transitioning.

Glad you joined us!

Regular Stylist
    Hi Jayqua,

I am going into my junior yr in HS and decided to transition because my hair is damaged beyond repair. You are not alone! One of the reasons I joined this forum is I need support since I don't have it from friends and family. You are in the right place!

davonna's Avatar Regular Stylist
    My baby sis is going natural and I'm trying to get her to join here. Our community needs something like this! Thanks, Lisa.

neceyluv's Avatar Magnificent Stylist
    Transition Length
    One year
    Became Natural
    January 2013
    Hair Type
    I dunno...4B and 4B?
    Welcome Jayqua! Congratulations on your decision to go natural! I'm with Lisa - I wouldn't have dared gone relaxer-free when I was in high school, are you kidding me? You are a very strong and determined young lady who is showing alot of maturity and self-confidence....remember that and take it with you! You definitely have our support here, so come back often!

Junior Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    Became Natural
    May 15,2012
    Hair Type
    3c & 4a
    Lol I thank you for this advice . It really brightened my day !

Junior Stylist
    Transition Length
    Still Transitioning
    Became Natural
    May 15,2012
    Hair Type
    3c & 4a
    Hi ! I'm SOOOO glad to know there's someone out there like me , My friends & Family give the bare minimum of support lol Glad to know I have some here !

neceyluv's Avatar Magnificent Stylist
    Transition Length
    One year
    Became Natural
    January 2013
    Hair Type
    I dunno...4B and 4B?
    You're so welcome! Keep coming back!!