The biggest problem I faced with my natural hair transition was breakage.
It’s a normal part of the process because you are creating a demarcation line where your natural and relaxed hair meet.
This point of the hair is naturally brittle (and the kinkier the hair the more delicate), so don’t stress out too much.
One way to minimize the breakage is by nourishing your hair with a protein treatment every 6-8 weeks.
Warning! You don’t want to use too much protein because it’s not good for your hair in large amounts. It’s very important that you keep at least 6 weeks between treatments.
Here’s The Protein Treatment Recipe
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp of whole mayo (not light or miracle whip)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp olive oil (or oil of choice)
- Section your hair into at least 4 sections
- Apply the mixture evenly, making sure the product coats from root to end
- Let the product sit under a plastic cap for a few hours (if you can’t do it for that long, 1 hour is still good)
- Rinse and shampoo like normal
As you shampoo and detangle your hair, you will instantly notice how stronger it is.
Improve the feeling and health of your hair even more by following up with a deep conditioner. Need product recommendations? Go here.
I’m telling you, this protein treatment is the truth! I love it because it’s natural and you probably already have the ingredients around the house.