Before & After Twist Out – 13 Months Transitioning

As I enter my 13th month of my natural hair transition, it just gets easier and easier. I am so glad I am able to document this so I can inspire those who desire to do a long-term transition and do not care to cut off all their hair.

I just did a twist out this morning and I thought I’d show you the before and after pics. Here is what my hair looked like after an hour and a half of flat twisting and two-strand twisting using Miss Jessie’s Curly Buttercreme (for moisture) and a tad bit of Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel (for hold).

I also used tiny rods on the ends (There’s only about 2-3 inches of relaxer left at the top/crown.)

Two Strand Twists w/ Flat Twists

And here’s the result after taking down the twists two days later…

Twist Out 2nd Day

I’m 13 months post texturizer & 22 months post relaxer.

Comments

1. Aunt Jean says

All I can say is, “WOW!!! Sheesh (That’s Lisa in family language), looks as if you’ve gained thickness in the process. It’s great and looking fantastic.

2. says

dear lisa
    i lve ur hair and people who think that curly hair hair is not beautiful they are crazy i love the way he changes ur face u look different and younger so congratulation for new hair and maybe someday if am lucky i can do the same good luck

3. says

Hi Lisa, your websit was very helpful. I am about 5 months into my transitional. I have more ways to go. the reason why I decided to go natural.again. I been relaxing my hair for the longest . and made a several attempts to transition my hair but never completed a task. I am much wiser then before then ever. My hair even started thiniing in the crown of head so I had to start wearing cover up styles. I don’t care for weaves. and wigs.. I remember always had a thick mane.of hair. Just seeing my hair going thru this .I know it was time to do something about it asap. My husband and daughter are so supported of me they actual enjoying the transitional as iam. God willing. I am looking forward to completed my tast as you did congrat! on your success. I and have to say it looks great and worth the effort.

• Deon says

Your hair looks great. I am finding that this transition is definitely not cut and dry. And, finding the products that work well with your hair can be tricky. I tried a twist and rodded the ends. It came out ok for the first time. But my hair was hard, crunchy and flaky. I used Miss Jessie’s curly meringue. Help!. I dont want my hair like that. Maybe I used too much? Or maybe I need to try something different. I have some aloe vera gel. Can I miss that with buttercreme or Meringue?

• lisa says

Hi Deon

Try something else. Miss Jessie’s Curly Buttercreme made my hair feel like butta! Also make sure you clarify your hair every once in a while. I know when I was transitioning my hair felt hard and dry and it was because I was trying so many products and I had extreme build it from excess products. Get a good clarifying shampoo and use it once a month. You’ll be surprised how these products linger on our hair and regular shampoo may not remove all of it.

4. Jaclyn says

Hello, Lisa….

First off, Thank you so much for taking the time to help woman learn to appreciate our hair and the way God made us……. Your site is truly informative. I have a question about gels….
    I just started my transition this week and I am looking for good hairstyles. I have seen a few youtube videos where women are using this gel called Eco Styler gel….. Is this product safe and ok for natural hair????

• lisa says

I use it all the time. Love it because it doesn’t flake as much! Just like any gel, though it can be drying over time. So I don’t overuse it. Just on my edges or maybe with a wash and go.

5. Latifah says

Hi Lisa, I just had a quick question what kind of headband is that. I’m talking about the black one with the word survivor. I really want to get one.

6. Tammy says

Lisa I did the big chop two weeks ago. My hair was dry and brittle not educated on how to maintain my natural hair. I applied a Texturizer for more manageable hair, my question is will I have to big chop again in order to cut out Texturizer or can I clip my ends as new growth comes in? Thanks!!! Tammy

• lisa says

I had a texturizer when I started transitioning and I just treated it as if I had a relaxer. I slowly trimmed the ends until the texturizer was gone. I transitioned for 18 months.

7. rosalind says

Hello Napturally Curly.

I have read over your Napturally Curly website and it appeared to be very informative. I seek a lot of youtube videos on how to take of my transitioning hair. I am not of the younger set, but I am attempting to transition from the straight to the natural. I have shoulder-length hair and I attempt to keep it moisturized. It is a challenge b/c why my root seem to be okay during this transition, by my ends on the other hand are a mess. DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I had my ends trimmed about 10.5 wks ago (maybe a trim would help). Please help when you get a moment. I believe I am a 3c or 4a hair pattern, but its kinda of hard to tell.

Appreciate any feed back you can provide. Please help! Thank You!!

rosalind