A REAL Wash & Go Natural Hairstyle

wash and go puff napturallycurly It’s kind of ironic that we throw around the term wash and go when there’s nothing really wash and go about it.

I’m sorry, but spending 3-4 hours shingling your hair with EcoStyler gel or Kinky Curly (like I did in this post) is not really a wash-and-go.  It’s more like a wash-and-go-later.

Much later. ;)

So for the first time, I wanted to see what a for real wash and go was like.

No shingling.  No gels.  No mess.  All done in no time.

I’m talking about getting out of the shower, detangling and letting my hair do what it do as they say. ;)

Yesterday I did just that, and the picture on the right reveals the results.

My Simple Regimen

After I finished shampooing and conditioning (see my latest shampoo routine), I detangled my hair and quickly smoothed through some Miss Jessie’s Curly Buttercreme to soften it up.

Update:  Now when I do this style, I co-wash (wash with conditioner only) because it makes my hair softer.

I wasn’t concerned about getting the Buttercreme on every strand.  I quickly distributed throughout the sections of my hair by smoothing it through using the prayer method and no more than a couple of tablespoons of product in total.

I grabbed a Goody band, doubled it around my neck and pushed it up over my hair and formed a puff.  The next morning, I sprayed my hair with water (for moisture), added some Shea Moisture Leave-In and I was on my way.

Now THAT’s a wash and go!

wash and go products

So carefree and easy with no worries about curl definition, humidity or rain.  [SIGH] Natural hair can be so mentally freeing.  I LOVE IT! :)

Another Wash and Go Style With Gel

Here’s another style I tried later.  I shingled Eco Styler Olive Oil gel through my hair while it was soaking wet.

Even though we often call it a “wash and go”, it was hardly that. It took me forever to distribute the product through my hair. The results were OK. I will just use less product next time.

See the video below…

See more transitioning and natural hairstyles.

Comments

1. says

I love love LOVE this post! I wondered where the term “Wash N Go” came from when I first went natural because, from what I saw, it was such a long process! I like how you just added some product to soften your hair but not to “define” your curls. Let them be!

• lisa says

Thanks, Jarima. It felt so great to be able to literally wash and go. I just co-washed again today and let it go free again. Took me all of 15-20 minutes post shampoo. Love it!

2. says

This post was great! what other products are good?

I just did my big chop on aug 6 after 12 months of transitioning. I transitioned mostly with wearing kinky twists. I’m in love with my natural hair!

What I do mostly is a wash and go. besides that I just wear my afro out. what other hairstyles can I try that are easy for someone like me who is really bad at hairstyles?

3. LaToya says

Hi, thanks for all the product tips and videos. I’m about 2 months into my transition and feeling lost. Do you have any suggestions for short hair? Thanks

4. LaToya says

Hi Lisa, thanks for response and website. Its really short. I was wearing spikes. I’m three months into this transition and I don’t really know what to do. I know I’m tried of wearing wigs, it’s hot (lol) but I don’t want to go bald. Thanks

5. Vusi says

Hey Lisa

I am 5 months post relaxer and have been rocking the braid outs and twist outs. My hair is 11inches long. Do you have any hairstyles that you can recommend to wear to a wedding??

6. Vusi says

Thanks Lisa! Do you have any party pictures for inspiration. I am really trying to avoid my usual flat ironed go-to look!! I am really enjoying your blogs and your tips have made transitioning less scary!!x

7. Mary says

Hi Lisa,

I am trying to go natural and its driving me crazy. after reading your post I’ve been using the wrong shampoo (pantane relaxed and natural) going out tomorrow to get sulfate free shampoo. I think its been about 4 month trying to go natural. I am bad at styling my hair so I wear wigs to work. Should I try carols daughter transition kit or just shampoo and deep condition for a week? My hair is very dry. I use grease every morning is that bad. I have very short hair, what can I do. Please Help : ).

• lisa says

You can try the kit but you won’t really know how it will work until you try it. You shouldn’t grease your hair. That’s an old school method we all learned as kids but it really just clogs your pores and makes build up. Our mama’s didn’t know any better. LOL Try using Shea Moisture instead of grease and seal in the moisture with a natural oil like olive oil.

8. rosalind says

Thank you my sister for your authenticity and forthcoming information about the wash and go style. It is a fallacy. You kept it real and all natural sisters should embrace their texture without these unrealistic expectations of wet and wavy hair (if that is truly not your texture). My natural hair journey has been just that…a journey with a trail of product graveyards, mixed feelings about my self image post perm, the well meaning but hurtful comments from family urging me to not let my hair hold me back, and the ongoing process of embracing my hair no matter what the day may bring without becoming a slave to it…trying to achieve a look I feel ggood about about while playing the game some think is necessary to be successful as a professional. In short, thank you for the information and enlightening forum. Blessings to you! Indeed, we are beautiful!

9. Danielle says

My wash-n-go actually only takes about 30 minutes (it takes that long because I also shower and shave my legs while I am letting the conditioner sit a little in my hair). When someone is doing a lot of shingling or adding a whole lot of product to one’s hair, you are right in assessing that is not really a wash n go even though it was mislabeled that. I agree with you that a true wash-n-go should be minimum product and minimum styling otherwise it becomes the wash-n-go later as you aptly noted. For my true wash-n-go, I co-wash, detangle, put a leave-in conditioner in my hair, and use the praying method to smooth in eco-styler gel – then I am out the door in under 30 minutes. I do not shingle, twirl, curl, etc. I just embrace my natural texture so that it is really a wash n go. FYI – I have a combination of 4A and 3C hair and my hair is bra-strap length.

10. Patty says

I’m thinking of going natural. I now have in a weave which I’ve done for years, seven years ago I
    battled breast cancer so my hair hasn’t had chemicals since 2006. I just need to know how to begin
    this journey. HELP!!!!!
    Thanks

11. Yvette says

Funny, I was googled the words “how to change the texture of your hair” and came to your website. The paragraph described me EXACTLY. I have very, very kinky hair with no definition. I have been going natural for a year, but getting frustrated because I have no options but this “natural afro. My hair shrinks in minutes. I realize it is the way my hair wants to “behave”,…not very encouraging.

However, thank you for understanding and I am glad to see someone who understands my type of hair. I too, want my hair to grow out because I think I might have more options. Any recommendations on good products for natural, really kinky, tight hair.

• lisa says

Hi Yvette,

Kinky hair responds well to thick, creamy moisturizers. So I use Qhemet Biologics Shea Amla and Heavy Cream. I love, love that stuff. It’s pricey but it works well.

12. Tina says

Hello….I have seen so many good answers to the questions asked that I thought this was the best place to ask my question. I have not had a relaxer in over 2 years so would call myself natural. My hair is in the middle of my back and is naturally curly. I am trying to wear it in its naturally curly state but am having a hard time doing so! Maybe someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong :-(. Even though it is to the middle of my back, it shrinks up to my shoulders which I don’t like. Another problem I am having is that I don’t experiment much and don’t know how to wear it. I currently use the ORS shampoo; Tresemme Moisture Rich Luxurious Moisture Conditioner. I have tried a number of curl defining products. I am literally at my wits end. HELP PLEASEEE!

13. Michelle says

I am beginning to transition my hair. I havent relaxed my hair in 2 months and I have short hair. If I do the big chop what styles can I wear it in besides an Afro? Help!!

14. Marisa says

Thank you for writing this post because I have been feeling discouraged about wash n go’s based on comparing my results to other ladies I see on YouTube who seem to have amazing effortless curl definition. I have a lot of thick hair, so I don’t have time to go through each section of my hair to make my curls pop.

15. Gwendolyn says

Hi lisa! Thank you for the wash and go style. It has been three months since I have had a perm and I am having a hard time dealing with this natural process. I really do not want to take the big chop like most and has become frustrating! do I just products on my hair until I get the right one that gives it moisture and texture? Help me?